In this series of minisodes, we discuss the 1947 Roswell Incident that inspired the events of our beloved show. Listen to find out how a simple “weather balloon” crash became the best-known UFO story out there.
Below you’ll find the sources Lisa consulted in the course of her research. If you’re looking for a particular citation or for more information about a specific topic we covered, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contemporary (1947) Newspaper Reports
- “RAAF Captures Flying Saucer on Ranch in Roswell Region.” Roswell Daily Record. 8 July 1947. Reproduced and transcribed by ufologie. Retrieved from ufologie, August 2019. http://ufologie.patrickgross.org/rw/p/rdr8jul1947.htm
- “Gen. Ramey Empties Roswell Saucer.” Roswell Daily Record. 9 July 1947. Reproduced and transcribed by ufologie. Retrieved from ufologie, August 2019. http://ufologie.patrickgross.org/rw/p/rdr9jul1947.htm
- “Harassed Rancher who Located ‘Saucer’ Sorry He Told About It.” Roswell Daily Record. 9 July 1947. Reproduced and transcribed by ufologie. Retrieved from ufologie, August 2019. http://ufologie.patrickgross.org/rw/p/roswelldailyrecord9jul1947.htm
- “Army Debunks Roswell Flying Disk as World Simmers with Excitement.” Roswell Morning Dispatch. 9 July 1947. Retrieved from Roswell Proof, August 2019. https://roswellproof.homestead.com/RMD_July9.html
Government Reports and Releases
- Chartrand, Robert L. “Facts About Unidentified Flying Objects.” The Library of Congress Legislative Reference Service. 5 May 1966. Retrieved from Archives for the Unexplained, August 2019. http://files.afu.se/Downloads/Documents/USA%20-%20Congress/US%20Library%20of%20Congress%20-%20Chartrand,%20Brown%20-%20Facts%20About%20Unidentified%20Flying%20Objects%20-%201966.pdf
- Haines, Gerald K. “A Die-Hard Issue: CIA’s Role in the Study of UFOs, 1947-90.” Made available to the public in 1997. Retrieved from Central Intelligence Agency, August 2019. https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/kent-csi/vol40no5/pdf/v40i5a09p.pdf
- Office of Government Information Services. “Response to Freedom of Information Act Request Regarding AATIP.” Retrieved from Federation of American Scientists, August 2019. https://fas.org/irp/dia/aatip-list.pdf
- United States Air Force Headquarters. “The Roswell Report: Fact versus Fiction in the New Mexico Desert.” 1995. Retrieved from Air Force Historical Research Agency, July 2019. https://www.afhra.af.mil/Portals/16/documents/AFD-101201-038.pdf
- United States Air Force Headquarters. “The Roswell Report: Case Closed.” 1997. Retrieved from Defense Technical Information Center, July 2019. https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a326147.pdf
- United States Air Force Historical Archives. “Study No. 102-EL-55/2-79: Analysis of Reports of Unidentified Aerial Objects. Project No. 10073.” 5 May 1955. Retrieved from National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, August 2019. http://www.nicap.org/docs/pbbsr/BBA-PBSR14.pdf
- United States General Accounting Office. “Government Records: Results of a Search for Records Concerning the 1947 Crash Near Roswell, New Mexico.” 28 July 1995. Retrieved from National Security Agency, July 2019. https://www.nsa.gov/Portals/70/documents/news-features/declassified-documents/ufo/general_accounting_office_s_schiff.pdf
- U.S. Government Printing Office. “Symposium on Unidentified Flying Objects: Hearings Before the Committee on Science and Astronautics.” 29 July 1968. Retrieved from National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, July 2019. http://nicap.org/books/1968Sym/1968_UFO_Symposium.pdf
- Bloecher, Ted. Report on the UFO Wave of 1947. Originally published 1967. Updated version produced by the National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, 2005. Retrieved from National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena, July 2019. http://nicap.org/waves/Wave47Rpt/ReportOnWaveOf1947.pdf
- Center for UFO Studies. “Transcript of Ed Murrow-Kenneth Arnold Telephone Conversation.” CUFOS Associate Newsletter Vol. 5, No. 1, February-March 1984. Retrieved from Center for UFO Studies, August 2019. http://www.cufos.org/CUFOS_Associate_Newsletter/1984-85_CUFOS_Associate_Newsletter_V5.pdf
- Friedman, Stanton T. Flying Saucers and Science: A Scientist Investigates the Mysteries of UFOs. Weiser, 2008.
- Friedman, Stanton T. and Berliner, Don. Crash at Corona: The Definitive Study of the Roswell Incident. Marlowe & Company, 1992.
- Galganski, Robert A. “A Conversation with Jesse Marcel Jr.” IUR, Fall 1999. Retrieved from Center for UFO Studies, July 2019. http://www.cufos.org/Roswell/marcelinterview.pdf
- Hynek, Allen J. The Hynek UFO Report. Sphere Books Limited, 1978.
- Hynek, Allen J. The UFO Experience: A Scientific Inquiry. Corgi Books, 1974.
- Jung, C.G. Flying Saucers: A Modern Myth of Things Seen in the Skies. Translated by R.F.C. Hull. Princeton University Press, 1978 (originally published in English in 1959).
- Rodeghier, Mark. “The Center for UFO Studies Response to The Air Force’s 1997 Report The Roswell Report: Case Closed.” Retrieved from Center for UFO Studies, August 2019. http://www.cufos.org/Roswell/Response%20To%20Case%20Close.pdf
- Ruppelt, Edward J. The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects. Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1960 (update to original edition published 1956).
- Stothers, Richard. “Unidentified Flying Objects in Classical Antiquity.” The Classical Journal 103.1. 2007. Retrieved from National Aeronautics and Space Administration Goddard Institute for Space Studies, August 2019. https://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2007/2007_Stothers_st02710y.pdf
Modern (Post-2000) Press Articles
- Bender, Bryan. “The Pentagon’s Secret Search for UFOs.” Politico. 16 December 2017. Retrieved from Politico, August 2019. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/16/pentagon-ufo-search-harry-reid-216111
- Cooper, Helene et al. “‘Wow, What Is That?’ Navy Pilots Report Unexplained Flying Objects.” The New York Times. 26 May 2019. Retrieved from New York Times, August 2019. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/us/politics/ufo-sightings-navy-pilots.html?login=smartlock&auth=login-smartlock
Note: This article includes the Navy video footage of UFOs.
- Emerson, Sarah. “The Government’s Secret UFO Program Funded Research on Wormholes and Extra Dimensions.” Vice. 17 January 2019. Retrieved from Vice, July 2019. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3kg8v5/the-governments-secret-ufo-program-funded-research-on-wormholes-and-extra-dimensions
- Goode, Erich. “Roswell Revisited: The Mythogenesis of Crashed Space Ships.” Psychology Today. 27 May 2012. Retrieved from Psychology Today, July 2019. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-paranormal/201205/roswell-revisited
- Koren, Marina. “Just Don’t Call them UFOs.” The Atlantic. 27 April 2019. Retrieved from The Atlantic, August 2019. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/us-military-wants-pilots-report-ufos-despite-stigma/588232/
- Robnett, Mary. “See Photos from the 23rd Annual UFO Festival in Roswell, New Mexico.” Travel + Leisure. 11 July 2019. Retrieved from Travel + Leisure, August 2019. https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/festivals/23rd-roswell-ufo-festival
- Simmons, Bill. “President Obama and Bill Simmons: The GQ Interview.” 17 November 2015. Retrieved from GQ, August 2019. https://www.gq.com/story/president-obama-bill-simmons-interview-gq-men-of-the-year
- Whalen, Andrew. “What If Aliens Met Racists? MUFON Resignations Highlight Internal Divisions in UFO Sightings Organization.” Newsweek. 29 April 2018. Retrieved from Newsweek, August 2019. https://www.newsweek.com/ufo-sightings-mufon-2018-john-ventre-alien-extraterrestrial-905060
Content Warning: This article contains racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, and Islamophobic language in quotations from MUFON donors and volunteers.
Roswell Visitor Information
- UFO Festival: http://www.ufofestivalroswell.com/
- International UFO Museum and Research Center: https://www.roswellufomuseum.com/
- Roswell UFO Tours (via TripAdvisor): https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g47182-d3681149-Reviews-Roswell_UFO_Tours-Roswell_New_Mexico.html